Palau Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
NINTH OLBIIL ERA KELULAU
Eleventh Regular Session, July 2015
RPPL No. 9-53
Passed as Senate Bill No. 9-167, HD1
To amend Section 502 of Title 28 of the Palau National Code and to amend Section 121 of Title 2 of the Palau National Code to empower the Ministry of Natural Resources, Environment, and Tourism to establish a standard for tourism and enforce that standard, and for other related purposes.
THE PEOPLE OF THE REPUBLIC OF PALAU REPRESENTED IN THE OLBIIL ERA KELULAU DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:
Section 1. Amendment.
Section 502 of Title 28 of the Palau National Code is hereby amended to read as follows:
"§ 502. Declaration of policy.
It is hereby declared the policy of the government of the Republic of Palau to promote the development of a visitor industry in Palau as a high-value tourism destination with a high quality tourism product that envisions "Pristine Paradise Palau" and that is environmentally friendly. It is the responsibility of all visitor-oriented government and quasi-government agencies to assist and participate in the implementation of this policy, and to coordinate with the public and private sector businesses in furtherance of this policy."
Section 2. Amendment.
Section 121 of Title 2 of the Palau National Code is hereby amended to read as follows:
"§ 121. Functions of Ministry of Natural Resources, Environment, and Tourism.
(f) The Ministry of Natural Resources, Environment, and Tourism shall be responsible for developing the national occupational standards of tourism and shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) to regulate tourism activities and services throughout Palau, in accordance with the national tourism plan;
(2) to register, license, and grade all tourism and tourist-related businesses including cottages and private residences engaged in guest house services;
(3) to develop and implement, in consultation with relevant states, national and quasi-government agencies and stakeholders, criteria for standardization and classification of tourism facilities and services;
(4) to develop and regulate, in consultation with the Ministry of Education and Palau Community College, matters relating to education, tourism and hospitality curriculum, examination and certification;
(5) to develop and implement a code of practice for the tourism sector;
(6) to monitor and assess tourist activities and services to promote continuous improvement and adherence to sound principles and practices of sustainable tourism; and
(7) to issue citations for any violations of regulations promulgated consistent with this Section and to suspend or revoke any license issued pursuant to this Act for failure to comply with regulations."
Section 3. Regulations.
The Minister of Natural Resources, Environment, and Tourism, or a designee, shall promulgate regulations to carry out the provisions of this Act within one hundred and twenty (120) days of the effective date of this Act.
Section 4. Effective date.
This Act shall take effect upon its approval by the President of the Republic of Palau, or upon its becoming law without such approval.
PASSED: November 9, 2015
Approved this 16th day of November, 2015.
HE Tommy E. Remengesau, Jr.
Republic of Palau